1. Aldred, Cyril: The Egyptians, Rev. & Enlarged ed., Thames & Hudson, NY, 1964.
2. Alpatov, Mikhail V: Early Russian icon painting, Iskusstvo, Moscou, 1974.
3. [-] Treasures of Russian art in the llth-16th centuries (painting), Aurora Art Publishers, Leningrad, 1971.
4. Andronicos, Manolis, "Regal treasures from a Macedonian tomb," National Geographic Magazine, Vol. 55, No. 77, 1978. (pp.54-77)
5. "The art of nature at the Hambidge Center," Southern Living, April, 1986 (no page number)
6. Arx, Llilliam S. von: An introduction to physical oceanography, Addison-Wesley Publishing Co., Inc., Reading, MA, 1962.
7. Baedeker's Egypt, Prentice-Hall, Inc., Engleuood Cliffs, NJ, (no date)
8. Bank, Alice: Byzantine art in the collections of Soviet museums, Aurora Art Publishers, Leningrad, 1985. (enlarged ed.)
9. Beckwith, John: The art of Constantinople; An introduction to Byzantine art 330-1453, Phaidon Press, London, 1961.
10. [-] Early Christian and Byzantine art, Penguin Books, NY, 1979.
11. [-] Early Medieval art, Thames & Hudson, NY, 1969.
12. Bethers, Ray: Composition in pictures, 3rd ed, Pitman Publishing Corp., NY, 1962.
13. Bihalji-Marin, Oto: Byzantine frescoes and icons in Yugoslavia, Harry Abrams, Inc., NY, 1962.
14. Boeck, Urs: Sculpture on buildings, Universe Books, NY, 1961.
15. Boardman, Frank: "The Hambidge Center," Brown's Guide to Georgia, September-October, 1976 (p.75)
16. Bouleau, Charles: The painter's secret geometry: A study of composition in art, translated by J. Griffin, Thames & Hudson, NY, 1963.
17. Bourguet, Pierre M. du: The art of the Copts, Greystone Press, NY, 1967.
18. Braun, Stephen: "Botany with a twist," Science, Vol. 7, No. 4, 1966. (pp.63-64)
19. Bridgman, George B: Bridgman's life drawing, Dover Publishing Co., NY (Orig. cl924), 1971.
20. Broad, William J: "'How' of sight baffles researchers," Portland, Oregonian, October 11, 1984, Section F, page F1.
21. Cavarnos, Constantine: Orthodox iconography, Institute for Byzantine and Modern Greek Studies, Belmont, MA, 1977.
22. Chatzidakis, M. and Andre Grabar: Byzantine and early Medieval painting, translated by S. Watson Taylor, Contact Books, Weidenfeld & Nicholson, London, 1965.
23. Columbia Encyclopedia in One Volume, 2d ed, Columbia University Press, Morningside Heights, NY, 1950.
24. Cook, Theodore Andrea: The curves of life, Dover Publications, Inc., NY, (Orig. cl914) 1979.
25. De Camp, L. Sprague: The ancient engineers, Doubleday & Co., Garden City, NY, 1963.
26. Dionysius of Fourna: Painter's manual. Translated by Paul Hetherington, The Sagittarius Press, London, 1974.
27. Dumbarton Oaks: Handbook of the Byzantine Collection, DC, 1967.
28. Dvornik, Francis: Byzantine missions among the Slavs; SS Constantine-Cyril and Methodius, Rutgers Byzantine Series, Rutgers University Press, New Brunswick, NJ, 1970.
29. "Dynamic symmetry," Columbia Encyclopedia in One Volume,1950. (p.581)
30. "Dynamic symmetry the basis of beauty in the Chrysler Six," Saturday Evening Post, January 19, 1924, page 57.
31. Edwards, Edward B: Pattern and design with dynamic symmetry: How to create art deco geometric designs, Dover Publications, Inc., NY, (Orig. cl932) l967.
32. Eggers, George W: George Bellows, Whitney Museum of American Art, NY, 1931.
33. Engstrom, Barbie: Egypt and a Nile cruise, Kurios Press, Bryn Mawr, PA. 1964.
34. Fisher, Houard J: "Dynamic symmetry, a theory of art and nature," The St. John's Review, Vol.36, No.l, 1965 (pp.40-55)
35. Forsyth, George H: "Island of faith in the Sinai wilderness," National Geographic Magazine, Vol.62, No.106, 1964 (pp.62-127)
36. Gardner, Helen, Art through the ages, 3d ed, Harcourt, Brace & Co., NY. 1948.
37. Ghyka, Matila: The geometry of art and life, Dover Publications, Inc. NY, (Orig. cl946) 1977.
38. Gillings, Richard J. Mathematics in the time of the Pharoahs, Dover Publications, Inc. (NY (Orig. cl972) 1982
39. Grabar, Andre: Byzantine painting, Skira, NY, 1979
40. The Hambidge Center: A brief history of the Hambidge Center: 1934 to date. "(No date, 1 page)
41. [-] Schedule 1965, Rabun Gap, GA.
42. "Hambidge, Jay," Columbia Encyclopedia.in One Volume, 1950 (p.846)
43. Hambidge, Jay: Dynamic symmetry: The Greek Vase, Yale University Press, New Haven, CT, 1920
44. [-] Dynamic symmetry in composition: As used by artists, Yale University Press, New Haven, CT, 1923.
45. [-] The elements of dynamic symmetry, Dover Publications Inc., NY, (Orig. cl926) 1967
46. [-] Practical applications of dynamic symmetry, Bretano's, NY. 1923.
47. Haney, Daniel Q: "Plague of Athens diagnosed," Portland Oregonian, October 10, 1985. Section C, page C4
48. Hatton, Richard G: Figure drawing, Dover Publications, Inc., NY, (Orig. cl904) 1965.
49. Haussig, H. W: A history of Byzantine civilization, Translated by J.M. Hussey, Praeger Publications, NY, 1971
50. Herodotus: The histories, Penguin Classics, Translated by Aubrey de Selincourt, Baltimore, MD, 1954.
51. Herter, Christine: Dynamic symmetry: A primer, W.W. Norton & Co., NY, 1966.
52. Hoelscher, Randolph P., Clifford H. Springer, and Jerry S. Dobrovolny: Graphics for engineers: Visualization, communication, and design, John Wiley & Sons, NY, 1968.
53. Horizon Book of the Renaissance, American Heritage Publishing Co., NY, 1961.
54. Huntley, H.E.: The divine proportion: A study in mathematical beauty, Dover Publications, Inc., NY, l970
55. Ivins, W.M., Jr: Art and geometry: A study in space intuitions, Dover Publications, Inc., NY (Orig. cl946) 1964.
56. James, T. G. H.: The archaeology of ancient Egypt, Henry Z. Walck, Inc., NY, 1972.
57. Janson, H.W. and Joseph Kerman: A history of art and music, Prentice-Hall, Inc., Englewood Cliffs, NJ, n.d.
58. Johnson, Barry: "Exhibition of Native American art displays resurgence of tradition," Portland, Oregonian, February 6, 1967, Section M, page M4.
59. Jordan, Robert F: Le Corbusier, Laurence Hill & Co., NY, 1972.
60. Kalorkyris, Constantine D: The essence of Orthodox iconography, Translated by Peter A. Chambers, Holy Cross School of Theology, Hellenic College, Brookline, MA, 1971.
61. Kandinsky, Wassily. Concerning the spiritual in art - and painting in particular since 1912, Wittenborn Art Books, Inc., NY, 1947.
62. Keim, Jean A: Russian icons, Tudor Publications, NY, 1967.
63. Keller, Werner: The Bible as history: A confirmation of the Book of Books, Translated by William Neil, Wm. Morrow & Co., NY, 1956.
64. Kenner, Hugh: "The order of disorder," Art & Antiques, May, 1966, (p.144)
65. Kepes, Gyorgy, ed: Module proportion symmetry rhythm, George Braziller, NY, 1966.
66. Kiriazis, William C.: "The Byzantine frescoes of Mystros," Sacred Arts Journal, Vol. VI, No.3, 1965. (pp.26-52)
67. Kondakov, Mikodim P: The Russian icon, Translated by Ellis H. Minns, Clarendon Press, Osford, 1927.
68. Lazarev, Victor M.: Novgorodian icon-painting, Iskusstvo Publishers, Moscow, 1976.
69. [-] Russian icons: From the twelfth to the fifteenth century, Mentor-UNESCO Art Book, New American Library of World Literature, NY. 1962.
70. Le Corbusier: The ideas of Le Corbusier on architecture, and urban planning, Jacques Guiton, ed., translated by M. Guiton, George Braziller, NY, 1961.
71. Lenssen, Heidl: Art and anatomy, Barnes & Noble, Inc., NY, 1946.
72. Logan, William B: "Going with the flow," House & Garden, Vol.156, No.10, 1986 (pp.116-121)
73. Luzadder, W: Graphics for engineers, Prentice-Hall, Inc., Englewood Cliffs, NJ, 1957.
74. McWhinnie, Harold J: Jay Hambidge and his critics, I - Paper prepared as part of a two year study of The Hambidge Papers and the lives of Jay and Mary Hambidge. Prepared for Dynamic Symmetry Conference, July 1965, Hambidge Center, Rabun Gap, GA.
75. [-] "A review of the use of symmetry, the Golden Section and dynamic symmetry in contemporary art," Leonardo, Vol.19, No.3. 1966 (pp.241-245)
76. [-] Some influences of the ideas of Jay Hambidge on art and design with implications for research. Prepared for presentation at the 9th Colloquium for Empirical Aesthetics at the University of Santa Cruz, CA, August 1965.
77. Mango, Cyril: The art of the Byzantine Empire; 312-1453, Sources & Documents in the History of Art Series, edited by H. W. Janson, Prentice-Hall, Inc., Englewood Cliffs, NJ, 1972.
78. Martindale, Andrew: Gothic art: From the twelfth to fifteenth century, Praeger Publications, NY, 1967.
79. Morgan, Charles H: George Bellows: "Painter of America," Reynal & Co., NY, 1965.
80. National Geographic Society: Ancient Egypt: Discovering its splendors, DC, 1976.
81. Neratoff, R. "Mental images," Sacred Arts Journal, Vol.3, No.l, 1962, (pp.11-14)
82. Neugebauer, Oto: The exact sciences of antiquity, Dover Publications Inc., NY, 1969
83. Onasch, Konrad: Icons, A. S. Barnes & Co., NY, 1969.
84. Ouspensky, Leonid: The theology of the icon in the Orthodox Church, Editions dc l'Exarchat Patriarcal Russe en Europe Occidentale, Paris, 1960.
85. Papaioannou, Kostas: Byzantine and Russian painting. Translated by Janet Sondheimer, Funk & Wagnalls, NY, 1965.
86. Pedoe, Dan: Geometry and the visual arts, Dover Publications, Inc., NY (Orig. cl976) 1963.
87. Popova, Olga: Russian illuminated manuscripts, Thames & Hudson, NY, 1984.
88. Rasmussen, Henry N: Art structure: a textbook of creative design, McGraw-Hill, NY, 1950.
89. Renfrew, Colin: "Ancient Bulgaria's golden treasures," National Geographic Magazine, Vol. 158, No. 1, July I960 (pp.112-129)
90. Rice, David Talbot: Art of the Byzantine Era, Praeger Publications, NY, 1963.
91. [-] Byzantine painting: The last phase, The Dial Press, NY, 1966.
92. Rohrbacher, Charles: "Proportions and icon drawing," Sacred Arts Journal, Vol. 5, No. 3. 1964 (pp.15-25)
93. Romer, John: "Ancient lives: The Processional way of the gods,'' WTTU (TV presentation), Chicago, 1965. (Part 3 of 4)
94. [-] Ancient lives: The story of the Pharaoh's tombmakers, Weidenfeld & Nicholson, London, 1964.
95. Royal Academy of Arts: From Byzantium to El Greco: Greek frescoes and icons. Exhibition Catalog, 27 March to 21 June, 1967, London.
96. Sameh, Waley-el-dine: Daily life in ancient Egypt, Translated by Michael Bullock, McGraw-Hill. NY, 1964.
97. Scully, Vincent: The earth, the temple, and the gods; Greek sacred architecture, Yale University Press, New Haven, CT, 1962.
98. [-] "Greece: The emergence of architectural independence,' Architectural Digest, November, 1964 (pp.216-227)
99. [-] "Greece: The environment contained," Architectural Digest, January, 1965 (pp.146-160)
100. [-] "Greece: Law and liberation," Architectural Digest, December, 1964 (pp.214-222)
101. Sendler, Egon: L'icone image de L'invisible: Elements de theologie esthetique, et technique, Desclee de Brouwer, Paris, 1961 (in French)
102. Severy, Merle: "The Byzantine Empire: Rome of the east," National Geographic Magazine, Vol. 164, No. 6, 1963. (pp.706-767)
103. Smith, A. G: Cut & assemble 3-D geometrical shapes: 10 models in full color, Dover Publications, Inc., NY, 1966.
104. Stewart, Desmond: The foreigner: A search for the first century Jesus, Hamish Hamilton, London, 1961.
105. "The stock market catches a big wave," Science Behind the News", Discover, March, 1987 (p.12)
106. Stuart, John: Ikons, Faber & Faber, London, 1975.
107. Sverdrup, H. U. et al.: The oceans: Their physics, chemistry, and general biology, Prentice-Hall, Inc., Englewood Cliffs, NJ, 1942.
108. Tomlison, R. A.: Greek sanctuaries, St. Martin's Press, NY, 1976
109. Underwood, Paul A.: The Kariye Djami, 3 vols., Bollingen Series LXX, Pantheon Books, NY, 1966.
110. Voyce, Arthur: The art and architecture of Medieval Russia, University of Oklahoma Press, Norman, Ok, 1967.
111. Watt, James Cromar: Examples of Greek and Pompeian decorative work, B. T. Batsford, London, 1987.
112. Weitzmann, Kurt, M. Chatzidkis, and S. Radojcic: Icons, Alpine Fine Arts Collection, Ltd., NY, 1960.
113. Wells, Webster and Walter W. Hart: Progressive plane geometry, 2d ed., D. C. Heath & Co., NY, 1943.
114. Wigginton, Eliot. "Brief history of The Hambidge Center," Foxfire, Vol. 7, No. 3, 1973. (pp.20-21)
115. [-] "Chronology - Mary Hambidge and the Center she founded,'' Foxfire, Vol. 7. No.3. 1973 (pp.9-19)
116. [-] "Mary Hambidge," Foxfire, Vol. 7, No.3, 1973 (pp.1-9)
117. [-] Sometimes a shining moment: The Foxfire experience, Anchor Fress/Doubleday, Garden City, NY, 1965.
118. Zahl, Paul and Victor R. Boswell, "The magic lure of seashells," National Geographic Magazine, Vol. 135, No. 3, 1969. (pp.366-429)
Person Correspondence References
125. Archives of American Art, Smithsonlan Institution, Washington D.C. (Initial correspondence: March 23, 1987), Cynthia Ott, Reference Specialist.
126. Evans, Tomy: Thirteen sheets of Junior High School students' class work using Hambidge's "Whirling Squares" rectangle (also termed the "Golden Rectangle"), Rabun County High School, Tiger, GA. (March 11, 1987)
127. Hambidge Center for Creative Arts and Sciences, Rabun Gap, GA. (Initial correspondence: September 29, 1986), Sue Pennington, Secretary.
128. Harvard University, Fogg Art Museum, Cambridge. MA. (Initial correspondence: November 22, 1986), Aaron J. Paul, Curatorial Assistant, Ancient Art.
129. Library of Congress, Reference Department, Washington D.C., (Initial correspondence: January 31, 1987), Robert Costenbader, Acting Head, Microfilm Reading Room.
130. Metropolitan Museum of Art, Department of Roman Art, NY. (Initial correspondence: September 16, 1986), Dietrich von Bothmer, Chairman, Department of Greek and Roman Art.
31. Museum of Fine Arts, Department of Classical Art, Boston, (Initial correspondence: September 16, 1986), Michael Pedgett, Assistant, Department of Classical Art.
132. Mikas, Mary. Telephone conversation, March 4, 1987. Mrs. Mikas is the former director of the Hambidge Center, Rabun Gap, GA.
133. St. John's College, St. John's Review, Annapolis, MD. (Initial correspondence: January 21, 1987), Heidi Schlinphacke, Editor's Assistant.
134. Yale University Art Gallery, Stoddard Collection, new Haven, CT. (Initial correspondence: September 18, 1986), Susan B. Matheson Curator of Ancient Art.
More recent items of note for readers interested in Dynamic Symmetry and the Golden Section
Boles, Martha and Rochelle Newman: The Golden Relationship: Art, Math, Nature: Book 1: Universal Patterns, second ed. , Design & illustrations by Sylvia T. Bumside, Pythagorean Press, Bradford, MA, 1987 (345 pp. illus.)
Garon, Len: "An approach to success," American Artist, Vol. 53, Issue 564, (July) 1989 (pp. 66-71)
Holden Laurence: Laurence Holden Paintings: From The Garden of the Golden Sections, OK Harris, Works of Art, 383 West Broadway, New York, NY, 10012. April 1-22, 1989.